Wednesday, January 11, 2012

With You? Or In The Bag?

A phrase that has become as common place as, "Plastic or paper?" I'm trying to remember when that even started, the receipt question. I remember when paper grocery sacks were replaced by plastic ones, only to then find themselves in competition when the papers one returned. Now there are the even more environmentally friendly reusable bags. I don't remember when the receipt question began. Maybe it's always been around? I worked retail during high school, and I don't remember giving people a choice, the receipt went in the bag. It's possible that a lawsuit somewhere was the catalyst for the change, who knows.

The post title and opening statement were prompted by a little excursion to the mall. I finally made it to H&M. I never expected there would be one here and had resigned myself to shopping there annually. When I was SO excited when I found out there really was going to be an H&M in Utah, and even better, it was going to be at Fashion Place, right in my hood!
It's been open a few months but I have kind of been waiting. Waiting for what? Waiting for time to really shop. I can't do H&M like I do Old Navy, with a quick walk-through and cursory glances and/or with my kids in tow. I need  to not feel rushed so that I can really look around when I go into an H&M which means no kids.
They opened their doors mid-November, right during the gear-up of the pre-holiday rush. I barely shopped for others during this time, shopping for myself would have seemed very selfish. Had I known then what I found out tonight, that this particular H&M has a children's section, I could have easily killed two birds with one stone. Oh well, what's past is past.

So, was I disappointed? Not really, and I wasn't extremely impressed either. I am glad we have one and will enjoy shopping there, I just felt a bit overwhelmed when I first walked in. I was greeted by racks and racks of sale items. I like sale items, I just hate going through sale racks. The clothes are crammed together, my size is usually gone though there are plenty of too small and also too big, and the racks are too close together. I wasn't able to fully get over the little bit of anxiety I felt before another situation started, and then continued, to annoyed me. I think it can be best illustrated with the text conversation between me and my friend Ami:

Me: Finally headed to h & m. Lots of orange at jcrew
Me: Huge store huge sale. Hate it when someone is looking close to me when I was here first! (like barely more than a foot away from me)
Ami: I hate that so bad!!! I am jelly!!! Find something cute!!!
Me: OMG. Someone is trying to look below me! WTF. It's not that crowded. We will take tues parking (school thing)
Ami: Ok sounds good! What the hell people!
Me: Just happened AGAIN! Next person gets PUNCHED!
Ami: WOW! I am surprised by this language!
Me: It's like I'm invisible! Rude people suck.
Ami: Seriously!

I'm still a little confused about the stalker shoppers. I've NEVER had that happen to me before, at least not without at least an "Excuse me please." Whatever, I'm over it now. Besides, I did get a few cute tops, I am happy they are here, and I'm looking forward to going back!
.

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny...I have a great idea!
    Always shop in at least pairs....kind of like a body guard!

    ReplyDelete