Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Parenting is hard.

Parenting is hard. I think it's even hard for parents of "typical" kids, though I wouldn't exactly know. I know we're all exhausted, that's a given, right? Yet because of the idiosyncrasies of my children and the unique challenges they face, it's difficult to give up their care, even to the most well intentioned village, if only for an evening away. We're ever vigilant, always on guard, and yes, definitely over protective.
I also imagine that all parents worry, mine still do and I'm grown with children of my own! But maybe parents of typical kids have a little less to worry about. I know there are commonalities among what parents worry about, I just feel like parents of kids with disabilities have a greater number of those worries at any one time. I'd start a list, but I'd like to maintain some semblance of denial.
I can imagine that raising kids is like a roller coaster ride for most parents. There are enough highs and lows to go around, though I think that parents of "special" kids might be experience higher highs and lower lows. Milestones are not taken for granted or expected, instead they are hoped for and celebrated. We flinch when parents joke about the "agony" of having a mobile toddler to chase around. When our kids can stack 3 blocks we jump up and down, much like a parent might do when their child learns to ride a bike. And a milestone as simple as shoe tying may be something we never witness. I'm actually still waiting for that one, and my boys are 13 and 7. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, not such a big deal, but an example of the little things we don't get to take for granted.
The lows on our roller coaster are followed by loop-d-loops, aka the grief cycle. We grieve for what our kids are not or will not be able to do. We grieve for the future we imagined, then turn to the task of creating a new one. We learn quickly that there really are no guarantees, for reals, no joke, seriously. And though coming to terms with that makes life "easier," we're still sometimes resentful about it.
I'm not sure that I'm doing a good job of articulating what it is that I'm trying to say. The emotions I'm experiencing at this moment come and go, in various degrees and for various reasons. Tonight it's because I, along with a few dozen parents, sat through a 3 hour meeting with the special education directors and superintendent of our school district. The purpose of the meeting was to address parent concerns regarding reorganization of special education services due to budget cuts. 
What this boils down to for me, right now, is that I am faced with making a decision of where Parker will spend first grade. Will he continue in his cluster class? Or will he go to his neighborhood school? We also had to make this decision last year. The question isn't as simple as it may seem, there are several factors to consider. I know it's just first grade, but it might as well be college, that's how the weight of it feels to me. I'm afraid to choose because I don't want to make the wrong choice, if that makes any sense. And it's only in hindsight that I will know if it was the right choice, or more accurately, the better choice. 
So yes, to wrap things up before my venting turns into droning, I believe that my experience might not be too different from what it is now if I was parenting typical kids. And though most parents of typical kids probably don't have over a dozen doctors, therapists, clinics, etc... listed in their contacts, I do know one thing we definitely have in common, love for our children.   

1 comment: