Tuesday, October 25, 2011

August 3, 2009 "Moments"


22239581

“Live in the moment.” This is much easier said than done. It’s definitely become much easier for me to do because of all that’s happened in my life, especially the threat of life ending. So I did that, especially well this past week while I was in San Diego for a business/pleasure trip. I worked hard and played equally hard. While in class, I was focused on the task(s) at hand. When out and about, I enjoyed whatever it was we happened to be doing. I didn’t worry too much about before or later, tomorrow or next, what ifs or might have beens. I just lived in the now, the moment as it was happening. This is probably why “Feel out of sorts; not sure where to start?” was my facebook post upon my return.
I do feel a little out of sorts. I finished a big project before I left on my trip. I finally got our master bedroom totally and completely unpacked (after having moved in 3 years ago). Laundry was caught up before I packed and my mom and Clint did other various cleaning and home projects in my absence. While away, I did not watch tv, not once, didn’t even turn it on. I also didn’t read any newspapers, which I do on a daily basis while home. My life consisted of learning about AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination)and vacationing in San Diego.
I managed to talk to my family each day I was gone. Porter had a meltdown a couple of days before I was going to leave, afraid that I would somehow “die” while away, or on the way, or when on the way back. He ended up going with Clint to take me to the airport and was fine about it. But something happened with Porter that made me feel that I missed a big moment here. He went from a size 3 shoe to a size 5! How is this possible in a week’s time! How could my “big boy baby” grow up like that! Whoa! Slow down! Truth be told, his 3s were probably a little too small, and the 5s a bit too big, but still. Parker also looked much more grown up, due no doubt to a week on grandma’s feeding schedule.
It took a full day for my body to recover, sleeping most of the day after my return. I call this the “vacation hangover.” My mind is still recovering, which is the “not sure where to start,” comes in. I’ve been easing back into normalcy. I’m caught up on news, updated my book journal, and have been playing with Parker and reading. Truth is, this is not normalcy either. Normal will be when I return to work after 2 more weeks of summer vacation. I don’t want to think about it, so I’m going back to living in the moment, starting with this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment