Thursday, October 27, 2011

August 8, 2101 "Did you date my mom?"


forrest1That was Porter’s question to every guy I introduced him to. Porter would extend his arm, grip the guy in a handshake and then ask, “Did you date my mom?” I have to admit that it took me by surprise the first time he asked, but it really shouldn’t have considering Porter’s interest in all things “love.” He’s already proposed marriage, to two girls at once. In kindergarten he got down on bended knee in the lunch room and asked Evie and Maria if they would marry him then held both their hands while waiting in line to go to recess. Though I don’t know if he’s made any other such proposals since then, I do know there have been numerous professions of love. Porter wears his heart on his sleeve, actually more like on his forehead in blazing neon.
forrest
So back to his interest in me, “Did you date my mom?” “No, we didn’t date.” “No, we were just friends,” and on and on it went throughout the afternoon at the family picnic. Then we walked up to Forrest, and instead of surprising me I was about to surprise Porter. First of all, I have to say that I didn’t recognize Forrest. I saw him when I first arrived, across the lawn, and wondered, “Who is that big, burly guy?” but didn’t have a chance to follow up as Parker was off and running for playground equipment. Over an hour later when talking to one of Forrest’s good high school friends I asked, “Where’s Forrest? I haven’t seen him yet.” To which I was told that he was the guy with the beard. So I actually had already seen him not knowing it was him. I immediately headed over with Porter. I couldn’t believe it! Forrest looked like a mountain man. We started talking, I met his beautiful oldest daughter, and I introduced him to Porter who had been staring intently since we had walked up. Porter shook Forrest’s hand and continued to stare.
forrest-2
Then it hit me and I said, “Porter, Forrest and I went on a date. He took me to a dance.” If I remember right it was homecoming of our senior year. Porter looked from me back to Forrest in stunned silence. He began to rub his chin, and then finally asked, “Did you have a beard in high school?” No. Forrest’s daughter was enjoying the conversation and contributed a story about how Forrest, when going through airport security, immediately gets sent over for the additional screening procedures. One of the last things Forrest said before I walked away was that he was going to shave for the dinner later that evening. And he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment