Tuesday, October 25, 2011

June 21, 2009 "Father's Day"


The school year was finally over and I was ready for a break. I told Porter, “Today is my day.” It happened to be a Friday, our designated family day. “Why?” “Because I need a break, so whatever I say today goes.” “That’s not fair.” “Really, because I’m pretty sure every other day is your day.” “You have Mother’s Day.” “So I only get one day a year? I think that your dad and I should get at least one day each week.” Needless to say, when you have kids, it just doesn’t work that way.
Today is the one day of the year designated for fathers. Luckily for me, I know a lot of wonderful dads. My dad is one of those wonderful guys that I speak of. My attitude of optimism was and still is largely influenced by him. My dad would always say, “Hope for the best.” He would also not worry about negative things that MIGHT happen in the future, and not dwell on mistakes/failures that did. He is more of a, it happened, let’s deal with it and move on kind of thinker. I’ve also not heard my dad utter an unkind word about anyone. He doesn’t focus on the shortcomings of others. He doesn’t judge by race, social status, or money. He is a kind man and the best example of what it means to love unconditionally.
Another wonderful father is the one I married. Clint’s baptism into fatherhood was traumatic, but he put his emotions on hold to allow me to deal with mine. He stepped up and took care of both Porter and I, and assisted me in navigating this new and unexpected life we had fallen into. I relied on Clint heavily right after Porter was born, and it wasn’t until much later that I learned what he had witnessed on the morning of Porter’s birth. And after Parker’s birth, Clint did all he could to soften the blow that would come with finding out that we did indeed have a child with Down Syndrome. He was patient with me and didn’t judge me as I was dealing with an array of emotions, all the while embracing us all with his unconditional love.
We brought Parker home from his extended hospital stay on the day that The Children’s Miracle Network was having their telethon. I switched the TV on in the middle of the night during a midnight feeding. There was a spotlight on a boy, around 10 years old, he had Down Syndrome and was also a leukemia survivor. When they asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up his reply was, “I want to be a good man.” I’ll never forget that and I will be forever grateful for the good men in my life.
Get your kleenex ready! I’d love to share some of my favorite father son stories with you. I’m sure many of you are familiar with Team Hoyt. If not, they are a father son racing team and their story is worth checking out. Another inspirational story is about Patrick Henry Hughes and his father. Patrick’s father took a night job so he could participate in college classes and marching band. Cheers to fathers who believe in the unlimited potential of their children!

No comments:

Post a Comment