Thursday, October 27, 2011

September 20, 2010 "Buddy Walk"

Parker’s Buddy Walk was yesterday. On Monday, I found out that this year there would also be a 5K, so Lexi100_38961 and I made a last minute decision and signed up. We thought it would be good practice, and a good experience to learn from before we ran our 10K in October. It was not the experience we thought we’d have, but still fun. We did finish in the top 10 (out of a dozen or so people) and we didn’t run a full 5K (the route was about ½ a mile short). But I did run around a 12 minute mile, which surprised me. I knew tand hat I wanted to step it up for the race, but wasn’t quite sure how to keep myself running faster than my normal very slow rate (15 minute mile), and not too fast (interval running) as to burn out. The answer was Cadence, an app for my iTouch. I am not a techie person, but this app is amazing. It took all of the music on my iTouch and arranged it in order by bpm (beats per minute). So I just set it at the bpm I thought would work, and off I went, jogging to the cadence of songs that kept me going and going and going. We finished the race, Lexi before me, and were happy with our efforts. We’re looking forward to our next race!100_3902The walk was fun, as always. Seeing so many cute kids, families having fun, and all of the support was great. Parker especially liked the inflatable slide and obstacle course. We could only get him away from those when he saw the train “zoom” by. It was great to see the performance of Rachel Coleman from Signing Time. Parker was following along in his own way, throwing up his arms, waving his hands, and singing. The walk was short and something Parker wasn’t too interested in, but we made him do it anyway. He survived, but was pretty much done after that. It was a beautiful but hot day, he had been going non-stop for a few hours, and after we ate, he was a crabby and stubborn little guy. Clint took the boys home and Lexi and I stayed for the raffle. Parker did get his name drawn and we got a big bowl full of movie treats. All in all it was a great day. Next year, we’re going to organize a team and do some major fundraising to celebrate Parker turning five. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment