Thursday, October 27, 2011

September 20, 2010 "Back to School"


We’re all back in school to varying degrees. I’ve been back to work going on seven weeks now. The highlight of the school year so far, going to my first Quincenera for a former student. This year I’m back in the classroom full time teaching health, and love being with the puberty ridden adolescents I teach. Other than that I don’t want to make an exhausting and challenging situation worse so I won’t do a lot of complaining, other than to say it really bites that it’s the norm for me to leave the house before anyone’s up and get home after the boys are in bed. Though it’s once or twice a week, it is happening with more frequency than any other time in my career, and I really don’t care for it. I have always usually been able to do either the morning routine and get the kids off to school, or do the after school pick up routine. Unfortunately I am able to do neither this year because of a grant our school received. Fortunately our nanny is back from last year and my niece who lives with us is also able to fill in. I just can’t imagine what I would do without my village. (Both the nanny and the niece are 18 years old yet constantly mistaken for Parker’s mother. I am old enough to be the nanny and niece’s mom!)
100_3848This is Porter’s fifth week at school. He’s in fifth grade and I’m trying to stay focused on the here and now because imagining him in junior high two years from now is enough to make me ask for the doctor to up my meds. Porter is definitely a character, very much his own person. He’s still unbelievably social and curious. He still loves to play outside and would probably live outside if we let him. And he’s more technologically advanced than I am. Since he doesn’t have a cell phone, he figured out how to text our phones using his email account. One night I tried it, and after a half hour of not being able to figure it out (we all know how precious time is) I called for Porter to show me how to do it. I still can’t figure out how he did it out in the first place. I think technology will be his saving grace.
For Parker it’s just his third week of school. He attends a Montessori preschool 3 mornings a week and a public school preschool 4 afternoons a week. He’s still small, but growing. He thinks he’s four going on forty. He will often decide to leave the house, through the front door, with car keys in hand (I still haven’t found mine from yesterday). He will attempt to get into a vehicle. He manages to do this under the supervision of 1-3 adults, depending on the day and time. This either says something about our supervisory skills (each one thinks he’s with someone else) or it says something about Parker’s determination and stealth. I just hope he’s not trying to pull these stunts at school.
As a teacher it’s quite amazing to think that parents give their most precious possessions to us for the day. As a parent it can be a very scary thing to do, especially when communication is an issue as it is with my boys. I’m just thankful that their teachers and the staff members at their schools have taken the time to get to know them. Though I do worry about their academic progress, more than anything I want to know my children are loved and cared for while at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment