Tuesday, October 25, 2011

June 6, 2009 "Technology"


I am so proud of myself! I figured out how to get pictures off of my phone and save them to my computer! I did this with the intention of posting Parker’s picture from his last cardiology appointment on the previous post, which I did. Some of you already saw the pic, which was very small in size. After saving it I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the size without distorting it. So today, I went back into my camera and did some cropping from there, then sent the new version to my account, which I then copied to my computer, and voila!
I’d like to be a lot better with technology, and I’m learning, slowly. I seem to learn on a need to know basis, which is probably not unlike most other people who use computers. I just find it difficult to wrap my head around how computers work! Even my love of learning hasn’t helped me in overcoming this deficit.
Porter’s a quick learner, of all kinds of technology (computer, tv, DS, XBOX, cell phone, etc…). Kids in general seem to pick up on that sort of thing rather quickly. I’m glad Porter is good with a computer and know that before too long, he’s going to outpace me in what I know on the computer. In some cases that has already happened. I didn’t even know that my phone could download games, and even if I did, I’m not sure how easily I could have figured it out. Porter on the other hand, found it rather simple to download (or is it upload?) 6 games. Let me tell you what they were (yes, were, because with help from my wireless provider I removed them): NBA Basketball, NFL Football, NASCAR, Bass Fishing, SUDOKO and Are You Smarter Then a 5th Grader? Porter informed me that he picked the last 2 for me. How considerate he was to include games for me on my phone!
This lead to one of those conversations that you don’t know you need to have until you need to, as opposed to having a conversation you know you need to have before you need to, such as not playing in the street or the sex talk. We had to explain to Porter that those games cost money and he didn’t have permission from us to download them. We also had to make sure he understood that he shouldn’t be on any phone without our supervision (which is probably a conversation that falls into the second category more than the first.)
Other conversations we didn’t know we needed to have: Don’t set passwords on the DIRECTV; Don’t erase my DVR shows and fill the queue full of yours; You cannot constantly change the setting on the computer (the destop picture is currentlyof the band KISS); Don’t set up a network on your hotmail account and add total strangers to it (okay, that might be a second category conversation); The computer at school is for you to do your work on, you are not allowed to change the settings or play solitaire (thank goodness it doesn’t have internet access); … and many others.
But with the bad comes the good, right? There have been many times when we’ve needed his help with the tv, computer, phone, etc… and he’s been able to help us.  Technology is and will continue to be a great tool for him. Even so, I’m glad that he would prefer to play outside than to be on the computer all day. And though I rarely understand technology and am sometimes frustrated by it, I am very grateful for it.
I’m keeping the technology learning curve going by posting this link: PS22 CHORUS  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment