Tuesday, October 25, 2011

June 9, 2009 Class of ?


Tomorrow marks the end of yet another school year, my 14th to be exact. Actually, more like my 32nd if I start with Kindergarten. So off go another group of students, to enjoy summer break, then to learn more in high school and then continuing on to their adult futures, whatever that happens to be. What dreams will they realize, what challenges will they overcome, what contributions will they make? If I’m lucky, I’ll hear from some of them from time to time, and hopefully it won’t be bad news.
Unfortunately the first follow up I had with a former student was at a funeral, his. I recognized his picture in the obituary section of the paper, he had committed suicide. Shocking, unbelievable, devastating. What had happened in the past 5 or 6 years? What could have driven him to end his life at such a young age? I was heartbroken.
The students I had my first year are turning 27. I’m only 10 years older than they are, which doesn’t seem as big of a difference now as it did then. I taught these children when they were going through puberty, and now they’re full grown adults. I’ve had some interesting student encounters over the years.
During one of our Girls’ Night Out evenings we (many of us in the group were teachers or former teachers of the same school) ran into a group of former students at the piano bar downtown. I have to admit it was a little awkward, but it was also great to see them.
While teaching preschool at an elementary a few years ago, a young man asked me if I had been a teacher at any other schools. He ended up being a former student of mine who was at the elementary picking up his daughter who was in kindergarten!
Not too long ago I had a very nice lunch with a former student who just recently graduated and was starting his career in real estate. I had kept up on his life through his mother who I ran into from time to time when she substituted at school.
Last year, there were 5 student teachers at our school. One seemed so familiar, and I expressed that to her. She revealed to me that I was her teacher in 8th grade. She was now all grown up and pursuing a career as a teacher.
There have also been a few substitute teachers that were my students, as well as a paraprofessional that currently works at my school. Some I just hear about, from other teachers, students, parents, etc…
So off go another group of students, and I’m hoping they realize how important they are and wishing them the best life has to offer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment