Tuesday, October 25, 2011

June 19, 2009 "Surgery #13?"


Ouch!
If I was numbed, cut, cauterized, and stitched, does that count as a surgery? If so, the procedure I had today was lucky number 13. Here’s the run down. I’ve had an appendectomy, emergency C-section, septoplasty, C-section, breast biopsy, left breast mastectomy, portacath placement, portacath removal, prophylactic right breast mastectomy and tissue expander placement, breast expanders to implants exchange, hysterectomy, nipple and areola reconstruction, and today’s scar revision. I’m hoping this will be the last surgery I have for the next very long while.
As you can tell by the picture, or maybe not, this was a red, angry, raised scar that was actually uncomfortable and painful at times. I think all the anger I had was focused here in this one little area on my body where it showed up like a neon sign. It’s the scar from my port catheter, or as I affectionately referred to it, my robot button. It’s been cut into 4 times, including today. Once to put the port in, once to take it out, again during nipple reconstruction when my plastic surgeon tried to make it look better the first time, and again today. It was the easiest procedure yet!
My doctor still asked me the standard questions this afternoon: “Are you allergic to any medications?” Nope, I’m pretty sure I’d definitely know that by now if I were, and thank goodness I’m not considering all the drugs that have coursed through my body. “Do you need a prescription for pain meds?” Again, nope. I fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, have a high tolerance for pain and have so much leftover pain medication that I could probably start my own pharmacy.
Though my surgeries number 13, I know someone who has me beat, by far. His name is Joel Hopkin and you can read about him or watch this news clip. He’s someone I knew a long time ago in Idaho Falls. You should check out his incredible story on Caring Bridge and consider his family’s request that you become a blood donor. I had to have a transfusion after I had my hysterectomy. It was scary, but thank goodness they had me matched, typed, and blood set aside before I was even admitted.  
So my advice to you would be make sure that you and/or your loved ones are doing their breast self exams (feel those boobies!) and if you’re able to, donate blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment